Sunday, June 11, 2006

Are you married?

Yes, many a times, students have spotted a ring on my left hand and assumed that I am engaged or married. I regret to inform those interested to know that no, I am not attached yet, much less married. The true reason for the presence of the ring is because I am Lord of the Rings… (pause for awkward silence & the wave of cold air to pass…) No, it’s because of my long time fascination with rings.

I have always been fascinated with jewellery of all sorts, regarding them as a work of art, and lately, a fashion accessory. Obviously, I have a developed a fondness for rings. Not those exquisite rings (Tiffany, Bulgari, Larry, etc.) which can buy you parts of a Ferrari, but the simple looking types. I fancy those of plain design, and have a small collection of them. Other than the “Lee Hwa Jon Rainer 750” which I always wear on my left hand, I also possess the 3 Elven Rings of Lord of the Rings (Vilya, Nenya, Narya), with my favourite being Nenya as I consider it a beauty amongst all my rings and also because Galadriel was a fair and powerful Elven sorceress. My latest acquisition is a dark steel ring from Australia, which I frequently wear it on my right middle finger as a counter balance to my white gold ring. I got it from Philip Island during my Melbourne conference trip. Being a souvenir gift, it only cost AUD$5, hence it is a tad too thick for my finger. But I guess it will do for now. I must say that it is very durable as after a month of wearing it, it is still bright and smooth. As such, I may consider black steel for future jewellery…

3 Elven Rings

Vilya, the Ring of Air, mightiest of the 3 Elven rings, bore a great blue stone and was originally possessed by Gil-galad, who gave it to Elrond at the end of the Second Age.

Nenya, the Ring of Waters, with a single hard white stone of great beauty, which was always in the keeping of the Lady Galadriel.

Narya, the Ring of Fire, borne by Cirdan the Ship-wright until the end of the first millennium of the Third Age, when he surrendered the Ring with its great red stone to the Wizard Gandalf the Grey. (Bet you guys didn’t know Gandalf had a ring, and an Elven ring at that!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home