Monday, January 15, 2007

Reflections on China Trip

Yes yes, I know it's 2007 now and the China trip was in Nov 2006, but that does not mean I cannot be expressing my reflections about the trip.

Many learning points from the trip:
This trip has brought me to places I have never visited before, so every bit of information is new to me. The notes I have made is enough to prove how much I have learnt about China and its history and culture.

Being a first timer bringing students overseas, it is a learning experience to handle all the preparatory work and running the actual programme. Looking after myself is all the more important now that I have students with me. Fortunately, I was the sole healthy teacher and learnt to look after students better.

I was glad my knowledge of Chinese History was useful. As the tour guide was constantly speaking too fast for our students to pick up, and because the students had no background knowledge about Chinese History, my stories and add-ons were useful in helping students understand Chinese History better. Maybe I should consider a job involving Chinese History. A curator in Asian Civilisation Museum, or a tour guide?

Do hope our students learn to appreciate their environment better. We have better living conditions, better facilities, more colourful lifestyle, better tasting food (to some students), there is no reason for our students to complain about Singapore or their own situation. Also, I do hope our students learn to be more independent, knowing how to look out for themselves. Finally, do hope students change to a much healthier lifestyle. It was shocking to know that some students do not drink anything except soft drinks, eat snacks/fried food/meat rather than vegetables. It will only be a receipe to falling sick.

Will I be looking forward to another trip to China? Yes, but some other locations (maybe the other 2 famous peaks) by myself. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home