Monday, October 09, 2006

Bad Haze, Bad Mood, Bad News

As if the raising pollution index is not enough, we are getting news of students suffering from flu en masse, meaning in big numbers. Are we facing the feared flu pandemic, or could it be a coincidence? Well, given the poor hygiene habits our people, espcially students have, I am not surprised. One can easily see quite a number of teenagers spitting in public. Call me black-hearted, but I do wish to see them suffer from flu. This is because by spitting in public, you are allowing germs from your phelgm to be exposed to more people, thus helping to spread any virus around.

6th Oct was Mid Autumn Festival (MAF), or more commonly known as Lantern or Mooncake Festival. It was supposed to be a time of reunions and happiness for ancient Chinese, and it is still one for those people who celebrate it. 7th Oct is HCJC's MAF celebrations, all because of the repeated 7th lunar month this year. HCJC's MAF celebrations has always been a well-known event among tertiary instituitions. It is usually a time of gathering for Hwa Chongnians from all batches and also for Hwa Chongnians and their friends from other schools. Whether in the plaza, the left or right wings, the canteen, the new block, one can find youths of all ages coming together to celebrate the occasion, regardless of school, race or religion. I do find the scale of the celebrations to be comparable to HCJC's Lunar New Year celebrations. The sheer atmosphere and scale of the celebrations would have been reason enough for anyone new to HCJC culture to want to be a part of it.

Although I wanted very much to go for it and see all the stalls peddling stuff and wushu performances, the lighting ceremony and join in the 8 mass dances, my heart was not with the celebrations. Firstly, most of my friends were quite caught up in their activities, so I did not want to go there without the company I was with. Secondly, I was helping to guide a wayward teenager and resolving disciplinary issues on Sat and Sun night, so going for MAF was certainly out of the question.

So in the end, MAF is just another day which could be good, but things did not turn out the way I hoped it would. Until I see the teenager making improvements, I know I cannot rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home