Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy Teachers' Day

First of all, Happy Teachers' Day to all teachers out there! The day started with a dampening rain, though I'm sure most of the students don't mind not having a 5km walk. Then, when the concert starts proper, we were all treated to a fiesta of heavy music sans correct pitch and clear lyrics. This is no thanks to our aging audio system and the genre of the songs.

I believe my quartermaster caught the attention of a number of students and teachers alike, as many did not perceive him to be a singer in any way. Well, it turned out to be a blessing that his group decided to just play acoustic guitars and sing. Granted, there weren't songs that touched all hearts, but at least we could hear clearly how good his singing was. The other highlights of the concert were the dance by the prefects. Through simple moves, I felt that it was a genuine effort by the prefects that I'm sure most teachers would prefer to loud music. The fashion show was the other item that made students and teachers take a second look. It was entertaining for both groups to see teenagers dressed up in vintage (retro) clothes and do the catwalk. So here's a learning point to note for people planning future Teachers' Day Celebrations: We prefer simple and light-hearted performances!

This year, some of the more memorable gifts I got from students were pleasant surprises. The 1st came in the form of a bottle of honey water with aloe vera & Strepsils honey drops. Other than the fact that I appreciate the kind thoughts of my Sec 2HCL students, it was a good thing that both were acceptable to my taste. The other one came in the form of 2 baked cupcakes from the former head prefect. It was a simple thought, but a touching one nonetheless. The last one came from my adorable but cheeky 2E3. It seemed that many in the class (both CL & HCL) had been hatching a plot for quite some time. Persisting in making my happiness their top priority, they went about asking teachers for ideas of good hangout spots for couples. Then they attempted to brainwash teachers whom they perceived to be ideal partners for me... duh... I guess in my 3 years in service, 2E3 2006 has claimed A1 for their efforts in trying to get me attached! Though teachers may not agree with some of the things they do, the big card and their efforts do show their concern for me. I can only thank them for their goodwill and hope they show improvement in other areas. Also, students of my form class 2 years ago chose to make pancakes with red bean paste for me this year. It warms my heart to know that these students were really worth all the efforts of the teachers and I do hope they excel in their N levels this year.

Though I received a couple of not so pleasant calls in the afternoon, I would say that the day ended not too bad for me. Attending the Teachers' Day Rally at Expo with me are over 6000 teachers, HODs, principals, MOE staff, Minister of Education and the Prime Minister himself. He shared with us the government's efforts so far and the vision he hopes we will work on for the next lap in education.

This has been a more simple but packed Teachers' Day for me and I hope that many more teachers share the simple joy that there are students out there worth our attention and efforts, and that at the end of the day, both teachers and students are working towards a better future for all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home