Monday, August 14, 2006

National Day Break

With all the buzz dying down after National Day holidays, it's time to look back and do some self reflection.
During the past weeks, many teachers and students were busy preparing for the National Day Celebrations. Although it didn't turn out exactly wonderful, I am glad we've cleared one major event of Term 3. Though I'm not looking forward to the AAR session, I guess it will be a learning experience for all to share among those involved.
I was so glad the event was over that a few of us organised a gathering with pigging out marathorn and KTV right after the celebrations. Here's the itinery:

1) Lunch @ Rice Table
2) KTV @ KBox
3) Fried Fermented Beancurd
4) Soy Bean Milk, Fried Dough Fritters and Fried Spring Onion Pancake
5) Durianssssss

On National Day itself, I had the fortune to let my friends try out the boardgame Mare Nostrum and revisit Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Although Mare Nostrum was a tad too draggy as everyone was nice to everyone else, I was glad the players felt it was a good game. I think I'm constantly influencing my friend to buy more games and vice versa. We then went back to Betrayal, and since we were more familiar with the game, the pace was much faster and with luck, we managed to clear 3 scenarios within a span of 3 hrs!

Scenario 1: A friend was buried alive by the traitor. The 5 heroes managed to reach the person in time and (with a couple of good rolls) saved him.

Scenario 2: The traitor had made 5 vodoo dolls for the 5 players. One hero was burnt to death in the kitchen as he thought it was the furnace room (I guess it was the kitchen ok, but too bad!) My vodoo doll was buried in the conservatory, but I tried the garden 1st and after suffering the detrimental effects of the vodoo curse, I couldn't reach my vodoo doll in time to save myself. The other 3 heroes managed to save theirs and heroes secured the 2nd victory of the day.

Scenario 3: The traitor was a beast master who released 2 wolves, 1 weasal, 1 hawk, 1 bear and 1 crocodile on us while holding onto a spear that drove him mad. What's maddening is we can only make special attacks on the traitor to try and remove the spear without killing him! Well, I had the worst luck in this scenario as I had the bear coming after me when my stats were almost at their worst. Anyway, one of our heroes killed the hawk, the weasal and 1 wolf. I actually managed to kill the bear before being killed by the combined attacks of the traitor and his remaining wolf. The rest were also slaughtered by a combination of bad rolls.

The other fun game we tried was an ancient game named Escape from Atlantis. Our people had to try and evacute from a sinking island and flee from sharks, octopus and sea monsters. Though 6 of my men died before they could leave the island due to sucking whirlpools, I ended up as 1 of the 2 winners as the rest of us were scheming to finish all yellow players before any survivors could reach any safe haven. All in all, the session was loads of fun. This goes to show that even boardgames do have their attraction and fun factor, so I think our younger generation is missing out a lot by just sticking to console and PC gaming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home