Saturday, February 17, 2007

Lunar New Year Celebrations

After much sweat and agony and courage, we managed to put up a decent Lunar New Year concert item. I must appluad those students who stuck with me till the end. I am proud to say that despite the lack of time to prepare for the item, they did pretty well on stage. Judging by the comments and cheers from the audience, I can say the shaolin martial arts segment was well received by the school.

I must also thank students for suggesting that I use Jay Chou's song for the item. Though some people feel that the tempo of the song was too fast for a taiji display, I thought it was good to play a song which the students were familiar with, is related to martial arts and have a distinctive Chinese flavour. The student performers cheered loudly and it seemed that the lower sec classes were more sporty and enjoyed the item. If I insisted on using the original music, the item would have been much slower and not so interesting. Although it was physically tiring for me, I must say that I was quite successful in capturing the audience attention and that Taiji can be quite hip. :) I know some students might think that I was holding back my smile, but I was actually smiling from the loud cheers from the student performers whenever the chorus was played. It was reassuring and delightful to hear the audience shouting the chorus in unison when I was executing all the moves. Maybe I should start a wushu enrichment in school...

经过一番辛劳,我校的春节庆祝活动顺利举行。尽管学生只有3次练习,我觉得他们在台上的表现还是值得鼓励的。至少他们提起勇气,认真地在台上把少林通臂拳打完。我想他们也应该为自己的努力感到骄傲,因为节目受到观众热烈的欢呼和好评。就因为他们能够坚持到底,我才会决定和他们同台演出,支持他们。

我也要感谢学生建议我用周杰伦的《霍元甲》作为配乐。虽然一些人认为《霍元甲》的快节奏与动作缓慢的太极拳格格不入,我还是坚持决定,因为《霍元甲》是学生熟悉的流行歌曲,歌曲包括不少华乐配乐,又让观众对太极拳改观,真是一举多得。42式太极拳原本需要7分多钟才能打完,但我仅仅用了4分多就完成。虽然体力消耗得快,但听到学生的掌声和“霍霍霍霍霍霍霍霍”,我还是觉得一切是值得的。有学生以为我是强忍笑声。其实在听到那班学生在为我呐喊助兴,我感到很开心,心情也没那么紧张了。或许我该考虑在学校办一个武术课程……

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home