Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I have lost 4kg in 3 days!

Sounds like a Marie France advertisement, doesn't it? Well, that is what it appears to be. After a prolonged 2 weeks of poor appetite and digestion, my gastric flu came back to haunt me again from Saturday (3rd Feb) till Monday (5th Feb). For reasons unknown to me, I have been getting less of those colds & flu which causes runny or blocked noses, but more of gastric flu where diahorrea and/or vomitting is common. Either the viruses have found new ways to attack human bodies or that my immune system weakened when the new year began with a myriad of activities.

In case you don't know what comprises a gastric flu, I will just "share" my experience here.
Poor Digestion
Bloated Feeling (Gas in stomach)
Stomach Churning
Recurring Diahorrea and/or Vomitting
Uncomfortable standing and sitting and lying down
Aching muscles for a brief period of time (a common symptom of flu)
Shivering when environment is not too cold (common symptom of flu)

Things I avoid consuming when having gastric flu:
Oily, fried, spicy, cold food
Big quantities of food/drinks
All diary products (yoghurt, milk, cheese, ice-cream, etc)

After abstaining from food for a quite a while, it is not a miracle that I lost weight. However, weight loss does not equal to fat loss, as not all fats are used up even if you do not eat anything, so this is never a healthy way of losing weight. In fact, I am concerned that I may have lost more muscles than fats after this recurring sickness of mine.

In short, a clean slate of good health is the most important asset we possess. I do not claim to be knowledgable even after repeated bouts of gastric flu, only to share the experience so that others may learn to take care of their health better than to suffer this similar predicament.

May all out there eat well, rest well and live well during this Lunar New Year festivities...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home