Monday, July 13, 2009

Transformation Apprehension

No, I'm not talking about fears of change here, but about things that have similar labels but different packaging or content.
When Transformers movie came out some time back, I was apprehensive about the very different looks the robots had compared to what I knew about them when I was still a little kid. Granted, the movie was adapted and modified to suit the current audience and some designs needed to keep up with the times, but having a different appearance from the 1980s meant that people who knew Transformers cartoons back then would not exactly identify with them now. I liked the Transformers movie, the smoothness of the transformation, but the slight changes meant that my mind would process them as what they are now, not those that I used to know.

When the sequel to Transformers came out, I was apprehensive, not knowing if I should even watch. After some consideration, I decided to watch with my colleagues and treated it as though it were a new movie which is totally unrelated to the cartoons I held so dear in the past. The sequel is more action-packed, and boost a lot more robots, many of which defy the law of physics in their body proportion. The sequel also has a lot more and better sense of humour, but deep inside, I know very well that I will never see the cartoons in reel screen anymore, because the movie version will be etched into the minds of audiences who have not known the cartoons well. The movie version is here to stay, and the cartoons will forever remain what they were. For someone who can be sentimental to familiar things, this can be a little sad, because the cartoons which my generation was crazy about would never appear in anywhere else save youtube and DVDs, remaining forever a past memory.

There are many other things which have seen changes throughout the years, comics, table-top gaming figurines, role-playing games, to adapt to the times and draw in new crowds. True, they might have been successful in drawing in the new generation, but in the process lose some of the old guards. For lack of a better analogy, think of a movie showing new young teen Japanese actors dressed in 5 suits, a lot of CGI (computer generated images), 5 totally different animals which combined into a Devastator look-alike and call it Power Rangers. Think the teens now would also feel that it is not what they would be able to identify with too.

Call me old-fashioned or stubborn, but accepting a new look or new content is totally different from identifying the new packaging with the older version. They are simply not the same anymore.

1 Comments:

Blogger gream said...

thanks for your sharing! great helpful!!








สูตรบาคาร่า

7:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home