Sunday, September 10, 2006

Show Your Appreciation

After I was born till I attended kindergarten 1, I was taken care of by my 2nd aunt. When I attended kindergarten lessons, my aunt would always buy a tube of White Rabbit Candy (it came in a square tube many years ago). After lessons, her husband would then fetch me and buy me a meat bun to go with a glass of Milo for afternoon tea. When I grew older, I started playing toy cars and my aunt would always buy a new car for me once in a while. Then I went on to action figurines of He-Man: Master of the Universe.

I remember that when I was in Primary 4, my uncle passed away, leaving my 2nd aunt with 5 children who were in their early 20s. The only way I knew to repay their care was to empty my entire piggybank of coins and write a note to indicate my intention to help their finances. I still remembered that I carried the coins in my pockets and the note was written on a sheet of paper from an exercise book. Of course, the small savings I had then wouldn't make matters better, but that was the only way I knew to show my appreciation.

Now that I'm working, I do give a red packet to my aunt every Lunar New Year. I also buy Christmas gifts for my aunt and even "MCed" for my cousin's wedding. In some ways, my aunt viewed me as half a son and I see her as half a mother.

Children nowadays lead a better life where most things are provided for. The only thing that's sorely lacking is quality time with their family members. Would youths of today do what I did so many years ago? Would teenagers show their appreciation for those who have helped them at 1 stage of their life? Time will tell...

Readers out there, remember those who care for you. Although their methods may not suit your tastes, I'm sure most family members do love you very much. The only problem is they don't know how to love you the way you want it to be. Maybe it's time you show open yourselves and invite them into your world. Even if they don't like it, at least let them know how you feel and how much they mean to you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Liz@rD-
YES! I agree to a great extent!! I strongly believe that people around us have been showering us with love..BUT...most of us tend to take the LOVE for granted, till we lose them, then we realise that.. It's all too late.. yupp.. -JIA YOU- ^^

10:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home