Sunday, September 24, 2006

It's all worth it!

Have come across a few students who made me feel that teachers' efforts were worth it:

Scenario 1
When I was revising Chinese Functional Writing with my form class in preparation for their prelims, Jia Ren actually took the initiative to come up and ask me the format. Maybe some might think, wah, now still dunno the format. Well, I feel it's encouraging as he's taking responsibility for his studies. However late, however little, even such a short moment of the student showing interest is reason enough for me to try my best to help him. :)

Scenario 2
When I was giving Chinese Class Test 4 to my 2E3, the students came back from English lesson in the Comp lab and were late. I started without delay, but the students knew that there wasn't enough time as it was the comprehension part. Some were clamouring to continue the test after school, but my decision was an obvious no. Irwin, who's usually very energetic and talkative in class, told his classmates off as-a-matter-of-factly, "Shut up lah! It's our fault that we didn't rush back in time. So shut up and try to do!" True, he may not have expressed himself in the most cultured way, but the rest took it well and just went on to try their best to complete it.

Scenario 3
I was doing late night study duty on 21st Sept. Although only a small crowd of regulars turned up, it was what the students said that made me feel that hope is still there. Those who turned up indicated their wish for the school to continue the practice, and some purposely returned back to school just to add to the numbers and ensure that the school remains open for study. Also present were some students who were not expected. Ozy was sharing his awareness of his weakness in certain subjects, and I though it was brave and responsible for admitting to the wrongs. It's still not too late to turn back and make the last 100m sprint. Besides, it's always the effort that counts, so that when you look back, you know you did your best and have no regrets whatever the outcome may be.

Gambatte Ne! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home